It was one of my first posts on this blog: Work with Flash 10 in Flex Builder 3. This post has proven to be very helpful and is still read a lot every day!
As Flash 10.1 is currently accessible in beta. I thought it would be nice to have some tutorial to build applications targeting this new version of the player to take advantage of the new APIs (like multitouch for example). This tutorial will provide a generic solution to enable the creation of Flash 10.1 capable projects in both Flex Builder 3 and Flash Builder 4.
Step 0: Download the latest Flex SDK
This step is not mandatory and should not be necessary if you already have a Flash 10 capable Flex SDK. Still, keeping your SDK up to date is always a good thing and this tutorial might be a good opportunity to do it!
As the Flex 4 SDK was just released a few days ago, I recommend you download, install and use it for the rest of the tutorial.
In the rest of the tutorial, $SDK_DIR will designate the path to the Flex SDK you want to use (ie. "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flash Builder 4\sdks\4.0.0" for example).
Step 1: Download and install playerglobal.swc
- Go to $SDK_DIR\frameworks\libs\player and create a new folder called "10.1"
- Download the new Flash 10.1 capable playerglobals.swc library from Adobe Labs
- Extract playerglobals.swc from the downloaded ZIP file to the new "10.1" directory you just created
Step 2 : Setup your Flash 10.1 project
- Open Flash Builder 4
- Create a new Flash/Flex project or open the project you want to setup
- Open the properties of your project (right click on your project in the Package Explorer > Properties)
- If you are using Flash Builder 4, go to the "ActionScript compiler" panel and in the "Adobe Flash Player options" section, check "Use a specific version" and enter 10.1.0 as the version number
- If you are using Flex Builder 3, go to the "Flex compiler" panel and in the "Additional compiler arguments" text input add "-target-player=10.1.0"
- Click "OK"
Step 3 : Build your project
Press F11 to build and run your project. Everything should work fine and you should now be able to use the new Flash 10.1 APIs!
You can now create as much projects as you want and you just have to do Step 2 to make sure it will target Flash 10.1!
Flash Builder 4 and the Flex 4 SDK have just been both released! You can read more about the new features on the official release blog post:
And here come the download pages:
This has been my project for the last two years: Aerys.
That's the name of the company I founded this very month with two friends, Warren Seine and François Rouge. And what business would that be, you will ask me? (thank you for asking!)
For now, our main activity will be to develop and provide creative and innovative solutions targeting rich multimedia platforms. This includes the 3D libary I've been working on lately and some other software I will soon speak about.
... or at least that's the plan! The next meeting of the Tonton Flexers - the closest thing to a "french Flash user group" - is taking place the 23rd of this March and I'll be there to present my 3D library.
I would be more than happy to talk about the software, the way I built it and the technical choices that drove its development. I will also try to emphasize what makes this library different through a few demonstrations.
Depending on the agenda of one of my co-worker, we might also present a very cool piece of software I never spoke about!
You can read more about the event here (in french).